Dzisiaj jest Piątek, 22 Września 2017 r.
język polski 

Miasto Braniewo

Okolice Braniewa

Zobacz także

Tourist attractions

Braniewo (Ger. Braunsberg) is situated on the Pasleka River about 7 kilometers away from its outlet to the Vistula Bay.

The city borders Kaliningrad District. Braniewo boasts 700 years history and tradition.

The city was the very first Capital of Warmia, It was here that the warmian bishops resided and the warmian seaport prospered. Braniewo was the member of the union of merchants.

It was in Braniewo where Collegium Hosianum, the Royal Academy, the National Academy, and the only warmian seaport of the 14th century operated throughout its history and and made the city famous throughout Europe.

Nowadays these historical treasures remind us of a once flourishing city:

The Minor Basilica of St. Catherine of Alexandria – A church in the Gothic style dated back to the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries. It is a hall church with three naves and six arches, built on the footprint of an elongated rectangular, facing East.  It was destroyed in 1945 during its capture by the Soviet Red Army  during World War II.  The  restoration  of the church was directed by the priest Tadeus Brandys . It took place in 1979-1986 and it was the biggest project completed by Warmian Archdiocese.

Parish Church of St. Anthony- It was built in the years 1830-1838 and designed by K. F. Schinkel.   It functioned  as an evangelical church until 1945. In 1946 it became a catholic church. The sanctuary is facing north. Hall church in late classical style. In front of the church grows over 100 years old oak tree.

Trinity Church -built in the beginning of the 16th century in the Gothic style. An aisle less church, with five axels, facing East.  Nowadays it serves as a Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.

Sanctuary Church of Holy Cross with a miraculous painting of the Holy Trinity – it first functioned as pilgrimage. In 1923, it became the monastery of the Redemptorist Fathers; built in the years 1722-1747, it is baroque, facing East, and was founded on a footprint of a Greek cross. The Stations of the Cross, located in the monastery park, are harmoniously integrated into the surroundings.

Cemetery Chapel of St. Roch – It was built in 1711 in place of a wooden cemetary chapel, erected as an offering of the townsfolk after the plague of 1709-1710. Baroque style, facing East. It was restored in 2006.

Monastery of St. Catherine “Regina Coeli " - built in the years 1904-1906 in the neo-Gothic style. Headquarters of the Sister Congregation of St. Catherine, which was founded by blessed Regina Protmann born in Braniewo, Regina Protmann has been the patron of the city.

Gate Tower - part of the bishop’s castle dating back to the thirteenth century. It linked the original castle with its forecastle. Gothic style, founded on a square base, three-story tall. It was incorporated into the Teachers' Seminary and the Castle School.

The former Jesuit College - a building constructed in the years 1743-1771. An addition of the western wing and the integration of defensive tower called Klesza was completed in 1923. Late Baroque style, brick building, three-story.

Hospice for converts - built in 1719, funded by Bishop Teodor Potocki. Baroque style, one story building with four wings and a square open courtyard.

Mary's Granary - a remnant of the the former port facilities by the Pasleka River. Built in 1831.

City Hall - formerly the seat of the governor.  Glamorous brick building built in 1878 in what was the typical style for public buildings of the era. It is reminiscent of the Gothic architecture.

Railway Station Building - built in 1852 as a part of the project of the railway line linking Braniewo with Malbork and Krolewiec.